Re: file 1 needs media recovery

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:02:18 +0000 (UTC)

In <1ac7c7b3.0309252057.6e683256_at_posting.google.com> drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) writes:

>Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com> wrote in message news:<bkvi9d$mcu$1_at_reader2.panix.com>...
>> This morning I had a hard drive on my Oracle machine die. It was the drive
>> containing the archivelogs.
>>
>> I've replaced the hard drive, and I am in the process of restoring the
>> archivelogs files from a backup.
>>
>> Optimisticly, I tried to start the database and got the following errors:
>>
>> ORA-01113: file 1 needs media recovery
>> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/oracle_home/oradata/pwhse/system01.dbf'
>>
>> So, I;m a bit confused about the meaning of this. This file is not located
>> on the disk that failed. Now I suppose that it may have been damaged in a
>> non orderly shutdown of the database. I tried replacing this file with one
>> from last nights hot backup, but I still get this message.
>>
>> What do I need to do to recover from this?

>if you replaced it from a backup, it would certainly require recovery.
>since its a datafile in the system tablespace, startup mount and recover database.

>were any controlfiles affected?

Sorry, I thought I posted a followup to this earlier, but I must have replied, instead.

To the best of my knowledge, no controlfiles were damaged as a result of this.

Here is what happened (to the best of my knowledge). Everything _except_ archivelogs for this instance is on mirrored disks. Unfortunately, the archivelogs are not. The disk containing the archivelogs failed in the middle of a hot backup. I have replaced the disk, and restored all available archivelogs from the previous days backup.

I'm more than wiling to lose a day or so of data in this database, at this point in time.

So, whats the best way to do this?

My apologies for being unfamiliar with how to do this. I don't do Oracle admin except every few years, as we just have this one instance and in general it's pretty much self maintaining.

It's a V7 instance, if that matters.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin