Re: Please help: Oracle9i/AIX5.2/Veritas vxvm raw devices Problem

From: pdv_sky <fa559088_maps_on_at_skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:33:12 +0200

A, Others,

I understand : you want raw Devices for Performance. I will not dispute that : raw-dev Used To Be faster then anything (and some bearded Ingres adaps still try to convince me that this still holds).

What I do not quite understand (even after I read you conversation with Daniel + HJR)
q1: - Are you trying to set up a RAC db, or just a single-instance and want performance ?
q2 :- your question is just "why won't create-db not accept the file on vxvm?"

For answers to q2, I'm probably not the person to help you. The error in post indicates some AIX level system call is in error. I woudl check some of the obvious stuff:

To return to q1 : performance of raw-dev Veritas now claim their DB-Edition yields equal performance to raw-devices. I personally never found raw-dev worth the overhead or extra-attn, even with all the sysamin or 3rd party tools available to handle the raw-stuff.
Nothing beats a good, real, CFS for both software and database. Howard mentioned Tru64: I subscribe to that, and disqualify as a grey-beard myself ;-).

10G wants to tilt the table for file-system management though, all balls should roll to Larry now. (G=disk Gobbler, or Gremlin ;-) I'll wait and watch closely.

Regards,

PdV