RMAN, Legato, DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.DEVICEALLOCATE

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2003 11:08:37 -0700

Dear experts,

We are trying to get RMAN and Legato NetWorker Module for Oracle to work.

The Legato client and server are running on Unix machines. The RMAN catalog is running on a windows machine.

Rman works fine writing to disk. However, when we try to write to SBT_TAPE, we get:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on t1 channel at 09/23/2003 13:45:37
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library Additional information: 25

We have tinkered with the libraries, to no avail.

Does anyone know what the solution to this issue is?

I later started playing with the syntax in the script. I then got the error:

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on t1 channel at 09/19/2003 16:43:11
RMAN-10015: error compiling PL/SQL program
RMAN-10014: PL/SQL error 0 on line 27 column 3: Statement ignored
RMAN-10014: PL/SQL error 306 on line 27 column 14: wrong number or
types of arguments in call to 'DEVICEALLOCATE'

I looked into DEVICEALLOCATE.
It is a function: DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.DEVICEALLOCATE

It turns out that the catalog database does not have this object in it.

I believe that this should be created. However, the owner of the catalog database does not believe that this could possibly have anything to do with it. "The catalog is working.", since the catalog works with other windows (not unix) databases.

----->

Survey: Does the package: DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE exist in your RMAN catalogs?
<-----

Thanks Received on Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:08:37 CDT