Re: Does Oracle 10G new database still need an DBA to manage it?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:07:41 -0700

Eric wrote:

>Oracle announced its new 10G database and claims it is the self managing
>database. Does this mean the new database is like Microsoft Office and there
>is no need any dba to manage it?
>
>Eric

Replace "no" with "reduced" and you'll be there.

One must keep in mind what marketing and advetising are. We still have to field questions from the
mentally challenged over the phrase "unbreakable". Hopefully we will not go through this again with
"self-managing."

Anything can be broken and everything requires some management. For one thing ... your Oracle
database will not pick up the phone and call your vendor when it runs out of hard disk.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu