Re: The Age Old Unclearly Answered Question: Write-Through or Write-Back

From: Christoph Purrucker <gugi_at_bigfoot.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:27:55 +0200

"El Toro" wrote...
> If you look at the entirety of my original post, I mention RAID 10
> (1+0). By default, the T3 works at RAID5, but it can be configured in
> other ways.

It can, but then it is too expensive for the small performance advantage...

> Do you recall and Oracle documents or URLs expressing the opinion with
> which you just replied? It would be very helpful in my meeting in a
> few hours.

Oracle Express Server has some advices (the hints there fit to nearly every Oracle database):
http://otn.oracle.com/products/exp_server/pdf/OEStuning.pdf starting at page 29. Oh no, they are recommending HW-RAID :-)

The truth: I don't have documents here recommending software RAID. All documents about Oracle tuning say that you always should use hardware RAID, if you are able to afford it. Sorry.

cp Received on Thu Sep 18 2003 - 07:27:55 CDT