Re: Database Upgrade: 9i Or 10g

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:50:20 GMT

"Sean Chang" <sean_at_cnfei.com> wrote in message news:466f3951.0309161128.524f09f_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello, Everyone,
>

> Our company is currently running Oracle DB 8.1.7 EE in Solaris 8,
> we are planning to upgrade our database during this winter to
> a newer version in Linux. Which way should I go--- directly to
> Oracle 10g ( suppose 10g is available then) or to Oracle 9i only.
> In one hand I have read Oracle 10g has some nice new features, on the
> other hand Oracle 9i has been out for a while and it's likely more
> stable.
> Please advise.

Hi Sean.

Historically, if you look back at new Oracle versions, the first available release have been a little dodgy, with the second release being far more stable with fewer significant bugs. The extra little wait has generally been worth it.

Use the first release to learn and experiment with features that may be of benefit and use the second release for production purposes.

Like a fine wine, it sometimes takes a little while to mature ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 07:50:20 CDT