Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:37:14 -0700

Domenic G. wrote:

>Excuse me Mr. Oracle Instructor ...
>
>Spatial is garbage, you can't even export/import a schema with
>sdo_geometry columns in it without getting a bucket full of errors.
>I'm waiting for Oracle to remove RAW, LONG RAW, etc. from their own
>system tablespace before they tell everyone else to move to BLOB and
>CLOB. Oracle is hypocritical -- they don't practice what they
>preach!! Do a desc on DBA_TRIGGERS and see if the trigger code is
>stored in a CLOB. "Oracle Corporation strongly recommends moving to
>CLOBs ... ".
>
>What I would really like them to do is put in a command to clone a
>schema without doing export/import -- give me something useful instead
>of reverse-key indexes on sequence-driven columns, whose performance
>gain is like a drop in the ocean!!
>
>Domenic.
>
><snipped>

Remind me to never suggest that a addict to tell you about the dangers of shooting heroin.

I have not once, in more than 14 years working with Oracle, ever cloned a schema by export/import.
Foolish me using CASE tools like Designer and ERwin. Perhaps I should have ranted and raved about
missing capabilities instead. In the future I'll try to be more negative and complain more. Now if I could
just wipe this stupid smile off my face ... that would be a good start. ;-( how's this?

Oh and I do appreciate your attempt to be condescending. I have been a developer and DBA for 34
years and have only 4 years of part-time teaching to my name, and I'm now Mr. Instructor. How quaint.
Now to killfile this thead. Done!

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu