Re: NO_DATA_FOUND exception

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 14 Sep 2003 15:02:37 -0700

"David" <auto90059_at_hushmail.com> wrote in message news:<3f633d80$0$10358$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

Boy, I missed this one completely. Stuff the SlOptus newsserver! :(

> Once I changed the parameter 'address IN People.Address%TYPE' from 'address'
> to 'suburb' it was fine - it appears that you should avoid giving your
> parameters the same name as the columns you address in a select statement, I
> didn't realise this was going to be a problem.

Interesting. Did you try putting aliases on the tables (as in: "FROM People A, Authors B" ) and using aliased references in all column names instead of "table.column"? Usually it gets rid of all these scoping problems as the parser will then insist on column names prefixed by either A. or B. over anything else. This should give "address" and "author" a chance to be interpreted as intended.

The other long term solution is of course to use a convention for naming domains, like Sy suggested. Of course, conventions are there to be changed at will. Still, it works good.

I've seen "g_*", "l_*" and "v_*" as common conventions for variable naming, although I use "my_*": it's kinda less machine-like... :D

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Sep 14 2003 - 17:02:37 CDT