Re: Redirecting output from DBMS_OUTPUT

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:49:07 +0200

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:41:56 -0400, "Gerald Mulholland" <geraldmulholland_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know where Oracle stores/logs DBMS_OUTPUT statements while the
>user is not logged in to SQL.
>
>I am using the statement
>"DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE("Error Message text here") within my stored
>procedures and triggers body exception handlers. I would like to review
>any error messages if they occur, but do not have a clue where Oracle
>saves such useful information.
>
>My Oracle database is installed on a HP-UX 9000 server.
>
>Thanks

They disappear in a black hole, ie they go to standard output as usual and standard output is the null device.
If you want to see those errors, you should use the dbms_pipe mechanism. An example set of procedures implementing such facility is in Steve Feuersteins Oracle 8i New Features book.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Sep 13 2003 - 07:49:07 CDT