Re: Oracle 817 crashes when i change sys password.

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:46:16 GMT

> I'm now on the phone to oracle support to try to get the system back
> up and running but this is doing my head in. For god's sake why didn't
> we use sql7 or above????????? That works!

It's been my experience that SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000 have never crashed for any reason at all. They are rock solid and are the model by which other RDBMS vendors should subscribe to. No other RDBMS platform is as feature rich or performs better than SQL Server. And it is clearly obvious that one should only choose a Microsoft OS to host your database. Time and time again, the Windows platforms outperforms and are infinitely more stable than non-Windows servers.

What do you mean by the database crashing? Is there an error message? You'll have to close your Event Viewer for the next steps...Does your Alert log contain any informational messages that can help diagnose the problem? Are there any generated trace files in any of the *_DUMP_DEST directories? When you try to start your database, does it come back up?

Please provide more information so that we can assist you in making your Oracle instance at least half as rock solid as you expect SQL Server to be.

;)

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland