Re: RDMBS and Java - a "clash of civilizations" ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:55:16 +1000

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:1a75df45.0309110401.aa23433_at_posting.google.com...

> They don't want to use Java in Oracle as it is a) not working properly
> b) restrictive c) complex d) all of the above e) just because.
> Which means a dedicated platform for running Java tier with all kinds
> of products that need to be purchased, maintained, upgraded and
> supported.

and of course the TCO is Oracle's fault! Heck, you only need a P4 and 2Gb of memory to even make WSAD work through screens in a day for a developer...

> Java developers are even *more* ignorant about database architectures
> and RDBMS capability and features, than a Visual Basic programmer.

That is my experience too. There are some very good J people around. But there are also heaps of idiots masquerading as. We should not confuse the J2EE mob with Java in general, though.

J2EE "experts" are various orders of magnitude more ignorant. Last week I had a J2EE "architect" and a developer with "lots of database experience" look at a logical diagram of one of my designs and ask me if the "thin lines" were "relationships". Took me a while to realize what the heck they were on about!

When I finally mumbled "yes" in uttter disbelief, they then proceeded to ask me if they were 1:M or 1:1. This was a diagram printed from Designer, which had the "hen's feet" connectors...

Then they proceeded to define a "query" that was supposed to return 1:M join data, "except if the data had only 1:1, in which case it should return only 1:1". Oh yes, did I think adding a "distinct" to get rid of the duplicates in the 1:M case would be correct, pretty please?

I had to stop for a coffee break after that. With crass ignorance like this, any wonder Java gets a bad name in db circles?

It took these geniuses three days of work to add a single button to a form plus its code, with their super-productive WSAD and their "struts" and "frameworks". Amazing bang for $$$, really! But you should hear them comment how much they're "saving" the client without all that "expensive database development"...

> At least, you can talk sense into a VB programmer when it comes to
> using the database back-end properly. Good luck trying it with the
> prophets of Java that simply know that they know better than you...

Liberal applications of lead pipe plumbing seem to be in order! :D If there is ONE thing Sun deserves to be crucified for, it's for inflicting this J2EE stupidity on IT...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto