Re: RDMBS and Java - a "clash of civilizations" ?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 11 Sep 2003 04:54:05 -0700

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote

> I have read this NG for two years now,
> and whenever it comes to Java, I feel that there is a huge abyss
> between the Java folks and "us" - the Database folks;
> and each side is quite successful in pissing off the other ...
> in most cases because of ignorance of the other side.

In some aspects I do agree with you. Especially on the ignorance part. Standard Java architecture does not suit what database folk consider a good database architecture.

There are two major issues IMO. Firstly, where does the business logic reside? And often with it, Java folk include high level data referential intergrity.

Secondly, what persist where? Java folk like to instantiate objects in the Java middle tier layer.. which means the data is not only in Oracle, but also in the middle tier. Who owns what? The database winds up being treated as a bit bucket by the Java folk.

Their slogan is an arhictecture that is server independant. Database folk say why the heck do you want to be server independant when the corporate server strategy and investment are the *only* certainties you're dealing with.

My personal take is that the Java folk has a hell of a *lot* to learn about database architecture.

--
Billy