Re: SQLPlus & TNSListener

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 21:26:17 -0500

Are you doing tests while logged onto the server?

Are you doing tests while logged onto another machine/client-pc and does it have the correct tnsnames.ora file?

Can you ping (using TCP/IP ping command) the server from the client-pc?

Can you tnsping the databases ? Of course, sqlplus is the real/ultimate test if you have complete connectivity, but it could be useful info if you have good test with tnsping and not good tests with sqlplus.

Do you have any other *.ora files in the directory where you store the tnsnames.ora (other than listener.ora on the server)? Or, do you have any *.ora files anywhere else on the client-pc or server?

Are you mistakenly pointing to another location for tnsnames.ora other than the default? Do you have any TNS_ADMIN entries in the registry? Do you have any environment variable named TNS_ADMIN? Is your tnsnames.ora stored in the default location (ORACLE_HOME\network\admin)?

Include the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files (and other *.ora files) in your reply if possible. If the tnsnames.ora is large, then maybe just cut/paste the databases you are having problems with.

-