Re: UNion Versus Or

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 17:23:47 -0700

Tim Marshall wrote:

>JOhn Palinski's book recommends using Union set operators instead of OR
>conjunctions in the where clause with respect to obtaining better
>perfromance. I was reminded of this when I was browsing through some of
>the examples JOhn Russell provided me in a search URL in another thread
>(http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.drilldown?remark=&word=inline+views&book=&preference=).
>
>How would I "unionize" something like this:

Contact the Teamsters.

Sorry ... I just couldn't resist.

My advice would be to use advice in books as guidance. Most of it has value when viewed that way and almost no value when followed blindly.

In your case ... I wouldn't. I'd use native dynamic SQL and put the query together dynamically.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu