Re: Automatic startup of multiple instances on one Win2k-Machine??

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:59:49 +0200

Roman Schicht wrote:
[..]

> There are no errors in eventviewer too.
>
> As i came from UNIX i donīt know this behaviour and have read some
> times that it should be not possible to start more than one instance
> at OS-boot-time.
>

> Does anyone of you now have dedicated experience with more than one
> instance or is it only a guess that it should work??

It should work definitively. However, I remember having such problems as well, however unfortunately I kept no records how I resolved them.

2 things spring to mind what I tried:
- recreate the services with oradim (delete then recreate them) - create a dependency chain of the 5 instances so that only one at a

   time is startet up by the ServiceControlManager (SCM)

If there is no dependency of services, SCM tries to start them more or less in parallel which might lead to a highly overloaded machine during startup. In such cases, the instance might not respond before a timeout occurs and SCM gives up on it. It's just a shot in the dark, but perhaps it helps.

Cheers,

Holger Received on Tue Sep 09 2003 - 04:59:49 CDT