Re: Oracle performance with Microsoft Project

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:31:24 +0100

"tom thayer" <tomthayer2_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3228903a.0309041058.31c511f0_at_posting.google.com...
> Oracle is the chosen database for the CRM. It's not optional. It
> appears to me that the bottleneck is simply the number of
> transactions. There are 40,000 updates for one table
> (msp_number_fields) and a lot of other sql. There are a lot of factors
> involved (odbc driver, sql*net, database and corresponding for
> Microsoft path), but we were wondering if someone has any insight as
> to why the one path has such a big advantage over the other.

Are the paths actually different? If so how.

What I mean is on the mssql box run the sql in query analyzer and obtain an execution plan.
Next on the Oracle box do the equivalent, set up a 10046 trace in sqlplus run the sql and look at the plans using tkprof. In general one might expect the same data with the same tables and the same indexes to produce pretty similar execution plans.

Without seeing the execution plans, the sql and whether the stats are collected then no-one can tell you why Oracle is slower. (or even *if* Oracle is slower, it could be the network connection for example).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA