Re: access active partitions simultaneously

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 20:20:31 +1000

"SPIDERMAN" <consultant2b_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fiB5b.118868$Ij4.87326_at_news2.central.cox.net...
> Hi gurus,
>
> Someone here mentioned of a software that let one access OS's on
different
> partitions simutaneously, i.e., making it possible to run Oracle DB and
> Oracle9AS on different partitions on the same machine for studying
purpose.
> Unfortunately, I forgot the name of that software. Does anyone know what I
> am refering to?

VMware. There are other virtualization softwares out there (Connectix is one, but it's much slower than VMware -though a lot nicer-looking- and it's just been bought out by Microsoft, not that that should necessarily put you off). But VMware works very nicely, is available for a 30 day free trial (at www.vmware.com), and costs US$299 if you decide you want to buy the thing.

Get Version 4.

VMware itself often markets the product as a way of running multiple O/Ses on the one physical machine, but that's a by-the-by. One of its main uses is to run the same O/S as the physical machine, but in the process virtualise a network. And once you have a network of virtual machines, you can start doing all sorts of interesting experiments with them, such as Data Guard, RAC, 9i and 9iAS, and so on.

Warning: if you're going the 9i and 9iAS route, you are going to need s**t-loads of memory on the physical machine. Don't even think about it unless you've got at least 1GB RAM: the 9i virtual machine will work quite nicely with just 256MB of RAM allocated. The 9iAS virtual machine will need at least 512MB. And that leaves just 256MB of RAM for the actual operation of the rest of your physical machine...

Have fun.
Regards
HJR Received on Thu Sep 04 2003 - 05:20:31 CDT