Re: Direct Path Export vs. Conventional Path Export

From: Anurag Varma <avarmadba.skipthis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 20:26:27 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:vhg8lv09gkvun71voeegq65rh88u6r2m6v_at_4ax.com...
> direct bypasses the sql-layer. So consistent=yes wouldn't work. Tables
> with LOBs are exported in conventional mode anyway, and it seems
> direct doesn't apply to any post 8.0 object.
> You would also need to retrieve NLS_LANG from the database to be able
> to use export in direct mode.
> Both appear to be too serious limitations not to bother about direct
> unless absolutely necessary
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Sybrand,

I vehemently disagree with you. Direct path option *CAN* be used with consistent=Y.
AND it does work as expected. You have always told posters this wrong information.
Try it out and find it yourself.

NLS_LANG limitation does not really look like a limitation for me.

So direct path option is what the OP should use in his case. Recordlength = 65536 speeds up the
export even more. It might seem too good to be true, and it is true!

hth

Anurag Received on Tue Sep 02 2003 - 15:26:27 CDT