Standby recovery

From: Goran D. <goran99_makni_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:52:44 +0200

Hello,

This is actually a general question, although it regards to a specific database.
We have a physical standby database for a production database (8.1.7.4.0) at another location; the managed recovery and automatic archiving take place without problems.
However, we noticed that recovery of a single arch.log is rather slow - the machines (8 CPU HP-UX) and storage boxes (EMCs) are the same. During periods of peak activity , the production database takes about a minute to generate a single redolog of 1GB; after it is transferred to standby machine, standby database needs (average) 3-5 minutes to apply this particular log.

We tried to establish parallel managed recovery (8 processes), but gained improvement of only 10-20%.

This still represents no serious problem, as the time during the day is still sufficient to apply all the logs. However, if activity of the production database increases, we fear that standby would not be capable of performing the recovery - ie that the production would generate more logs during the day that the standby is capable of applying.

I have to emphasize that this is not the matter of network transport (which is satisfactory), rather the speed of applying logs during recovery.

So is there a way to speed-up the recovery process..? Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Goran Dokmanovic
Oracle DBA
VIPNet d.o.o Received on Tue Sep 02 2003 - 06:52:44 CDT