Re: DBA task for System DBA and Application DBA

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:54:51 GMT

Hi Rakesh, thanks for writing this:
> Hellow
>
> Will some one explain me what is difference b/w System DBA and
> Application DBA,
> what are the responsibilites of each one
>
> I would like to know what is diffrent task these two roles play in a
> big organization. Assuming the organization can afford both dba as
> separate person.
>
> Thanks

The trouble with job titles is that there's no standard definition. Each company can have it's own technique of assigning a job title. For example, a DBA could be the Vice President of Data - well, maybe not.

I have seen the distinction you mention in large organizations that have both an "application" db such as SAP, PeopleSoft, or even Oracle Apps ... and the person maintaining this db is called the Application DBA. They might also have a regular Oracle db that covers all the things that are unique to the business (like when I worked at a newspaper and they had both SAP and a local newspaper subscriber db) ... and this would be the System DBA.

I have also worked in places where the Application DBA works with the development db (concerned with a rapidly changing db) and the System DBA works with the production db (concerned with backup/recovery and scheduled jobs).

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]