Incremental indexing in Oracle Text

From: Russell Lear <russelllear_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:24:06 GMT

We're using Oracle 9i to hold a moderate to large number of documents (> 100,000). We'd like to use Oracle Text to do this, but we do have some concerns on indexing performance.

If documents are coming in at an average of one every 2 - 3 seconds and we want the index to be up to date, can we reindex after every document? Or would the time spent on indexing swamp the machine? Is Oracle's indexing smart enough to see that a document hasn't changed and so not re-scan it?

Alternatively, is there a way to specify exactly which files to add to the index?

I've looked through the documentation on OTN (and it actually is quite complete and thorough, especially on configuring), but haven't seen a discussion of how to control this aspect of indexing. (And I may well have missed it - there's a lot there).

Thanks,
Russell. Received on Thu Jul 31 2003 - 08:24:06 CDT