Re: Configuring Oracle Portal and Oracle 9ias

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:55:21 +0300

Hi!

> > I can't agree more on your comment on the scalability problem. Without
> > web cache, the database experiences very heavy library cache latch
> > contention. It's probably related to frequent calls to
> > dbms_session.reset_package (I don't guarantee remembering some names
> > correctly; can't access the server any more; just laid off). We
> > changed mod plsql method to use fast refresh at
> > /pls/portal/admin_/gateway.htm, which avoids calling reset_package.
> > But we had other problems so switched back. Now the outsourced company
> > is doing our (I mean their) company's intranet Portal site. I think
> > they use webcache and problem is alleviated.

Pretty much my experience. We actually added/modified one index on one of portals core tables (don't remember which anymore), that speeded up page rendering a bit.

> > This is also correct: "often separate request for every tiny detail on
> > your webpage". But are you sure the client has to constantly access
> > Single Sign-on server? I thought the browser kept the cookie for the
> > purpose of not talking to SSO in one session.

I'm not sure anymore, because last time I worked with Portal problems, was with version 3.0.8 over a year ago. You might be very well right on this..

Tanel. Received on Mon Jul 28 2003 - 12:55:21 CDT