Re: 2 Oracle doubts

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:24:58 -0500

Forgive me if I repeat an answer someone else already gave - too long a thread to read the whole thing ...

1 - Yes. However, in most cases, you should want a primary key.

2 - Once you insert a value into a date datatype, it can be compared all kinds of ways no matter how it gets entered (yes, using < and > are 2 of the many potential comparison examples). It can also be displayed later all kinds of ways. Also, you can enter a value into date datatype in several ways such as a copy of another date datatype column, by inserting a string in the default date format, and by using the to_date function on a literal using a format mask which allows entering literal dates in all kinds of formats.