Re: Restoring & recovering in NOARCHIVELOG

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 01:50:20 +0300

Hi!

> This thread has brought out a lot of woolly thinking, hasn't it? Hardware
> failures are *totally* recoverable, not just to the 'second before' the
> failure. I think you are confusing this with user errors (drop table, or

That brings me to one of my favourite issues - total redundancy. If properly configured, you can recover all committed transactions from any hardware failure, even if there's several IO point's which fail simultaneously, you can always configure 4 member redo multiplexing etc..

But what about hardware malfunctioning (like controller fcking around with some bits)? Software bugs! DBA/User errors etc.. A really great solution would be to have several different databases, from different vendors, running on completely different platforms, being administered by different people :) Of course then there'd be need for a transaction multiplexer product... probably both in middle layer and even on the client side :)

That way we would be even safe from timebombs which some angry developer could have programmed into Oracle kernel ;)

Just some late night thoughts... (its 2AM here ;) Tanel. Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 17:50:20 CDT