Re: 2 Oracle doubts

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:47:16 GMT

Hi Sybrand Bakker, thanks for writing this:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:07:49 GMT, "Maximus" <qweqwe_at_qwqwewq.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I implement simple key/value lookups via associative arrays, this can be
> >implemented using user defined array types for a table column, an object
> >attribute, or a user function... quite flexible and very efficient.
>
> So how about 'read consistency'. You are using a database, don't you,
> not some 3GL crap application, resorting to hacks like described
> above.
> Don't you think your approach is easily made redundant by putting the
> affected tables in the KEEP buffer pool?
> Right now, when any of the records changes, how do you re-read the
> table in your associative array?
> O, you don't?
>

> Geez,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Well, actually, his technique does have some merit. Remember, we are talking about lookup tables here, not dynamic tables that are updated all the time ... which is when you need to worry about "read consistency." Dirty rows caused by updates is what forces Oracle to use the rollback or undo segments to maintain read consistency.

And as with most lookup tables, your comment about "when any of the records changes" is describing an unlikely event that doesn't require that you add all the bells and whistles that you need for often-updated tables. The next time we add a state to the USA, I can simply reload the data myself ... it's not something I expect to do again in my lifetime.

True, the PL/SQL that you use to create a package is "some 3GL crap," but it's not evil crap. Java is evil crap. <g>

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]