Install Oracle 8i for HP-UX PA-RISC on HP-UX Itanium?

From: Ulrich Pansegrau <sys6_at_zv.fhg.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:06:33 +0200

Hi,

we're currently migrating our old databases (version 7.3.4) to Oracle 9i R2. Some of the databases must be migrated to 8i in an intermediate step because they must still be able to communicate with the 7.3.4 databases that haven't been migrated to 9i yet.

One of our servers that must be brought to 8i is a HP rx2600 Itanium machine with HP-UX 11.22. Unfortunately, Oracle 8i isn't certified for HP-UX Itanium. Nevertheless I tried to install Oracle 8.1.7 for HP-UX 11i PA-RISC (which should be compatible with HP-UX Itanium) on that machine and got lots of errors like

    "ar: /home2/oracle/product/8.1.7/lib/libn8.a not in archive format" and

    "ld: Mismatched ABI (not an ELF file) for -lagent8"

Is it possible to install Oracle 8i on my Itanium machine? Maybe I just need to set some compiler options or use another compiler?

Thanks in advance,
Ulrich