Are temp segments being freed automacically or not ?

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:30:41 +0200

Hello,

I would like to know if my observation is something to worry about or not ...

My system:
Oracle EE 8.1.7 on AIX4.3.3, 25 GB of data, 200 sessions, dedicated server config, closed inhouse app based on Forms.

Some months ago we rebounced the instance with a TEMPORARY tablespace
(just as things should be - and should have been in the first place ...),
and we saw about 54% usage - OK. Over weeks and weeks, there was no recognizable change
to this figure, so we thought, well it seemed to have been right dimensioned.

Since yesterday we saw 80% and began to wonder ...

Ok, tablespace increasing is not the issue here, I just rememebered that in some manuals, also in Guy Harrisons tuning book, it says that temporary segments (hold by SYS) are allocated automatically by the instance, *and* deallocated the same way.

But what I see seems to be a HWM of the segment that never decreases. One thing is to add: the TS is still a DMT ... but would a LMT behave so much different ?

So, in the end: how do temporary tablespaces behave ?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
(besides RTFM, I do that everyday)

ThanX in advance,
Jan Received on Thu Jul 24 2003 - 08:30:41 CDT