Re: Viewing an Index

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:22:13 GMT

Don't you want to view the data in the table? Think about using an index in an encyclopedia. I can look up information in the index, but it won't tell me anything other than where the data for that specific topic can be found. The same holds true for Oracle indexes. It will tell me which row(s) in the table contains that information. The exception is when you only want the columns that are indexed and no other columns from the table. Then Oracle is smart enough not to actually look at the table (can't remember which version this was implemented in). But in that case, you still query the table, not the index.

HTH,
Brian

purplebelt_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> Can any describe how to view an index. Something like a 'select * from
> index name' would be good. The database is 8.04 Any method would help.
> Thanks

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"