Re: tracking changes on a table through ODBC application

From: db dude <db_guy_2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 11:34:00 -0700

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0307170002.10748077_at_posting.google.com>...
> db_guy_2002_at_yahoo.com (db dude) wrote
>
> > I have a table in which users are inserting records almost all the
> > time. I need to write an ODBC based application program that would
> > allow me to see what data is being inserted into the table in real
> > time.
>
> ODBC.. real time?

Or close to real time, but resending queries is not an option. I would prefer to lower the isolation level and keep an open cursor.

> > One idea is to run a select query on the table (select * from table)
> > once, keep the resultset open throughout the lifetime of the
> > application, and then do SQLFetch() to get each new row that has been
> > inserted into the table.
>
> Er.. no. That's is not only illogical, but a dumb idea. Okay, Spock
> would not have said dumb. But then I'm not half Vulcan.

How is Spock or Valcan related to to my original question? Thanks for your propoganda.

> > My question is weather it is possible to keep the resultset open and
> > see changes from other users in that result set. Can this be done
> > using a cursor?
>
> No. Read up on how Oracle provides read consistency.

Yes, but it also provides option to change the isolation levels.

> Databases like Oracle, Informix and others, are also not real time
> databases. Real time means.. well *real* *time*.. which means a real
> time operating system and host of other nice complexities to shoot
> yourself in the foot.. if you succeed in not blowing yourself and a a
> few billion bits up in the process.

Yes, I am very well aware of databases like Oracle, Informix, and others. Try not to assume to much.

> Why do you want to monitor the table that way?

Thats not of your concern. There are already enough people worrying about that.

> What business
> requirement are you trying to satisfy?

Again none of your concern. There are already enough people worrying about that.

> Have you looked at auditing?

Yes.

> Have you looked at something like datestamping rows via update/insert
> trigger?

If something as simple as this would have worked, I wouln't be posting on this stupid forum where people are more intersted in bullshitting rather than suggeting constructive solutions.

> Live long and RTFM.

Again. please re-read my question. I am not looking for alternative solutions or speculating over what is possible or not. I am looking for a solution to the excat problem that I posted. If you are not capable or providing one, please don't spread garbage on the internet by replying.

Thank you. Received on Thu Jul 17 2003 - 13:34:00 CDT