Re: Kill oracle session on Win2000

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:59:57 -0700

Anton Buijs wrote:

> julien <jul.gerard_at_laposte.net> schreef in berichtnieuws
> f3cb06b.0307160649.2f5f95ca_at_posting.google.com...
> | My problem is
> |
> | I tried to kill an oracle session whith the command :
> |
> | ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '32,46851'
> |
> | but the session is now on status Killed and is still in the list of
> | sessions. Moreover this session not seems to be attached to a thread
> | on the server. When I execute the following command :
> |
> | SELECT spid, osuser, s.program, schemaname
> | FROM v$process p, v$session s
> | WHERE p.addr = s.paddr
> | AND s.SID = 32
> |
> | there are no rows returned and so I can't use the os command "orakill
> | sid thread" to really kill the session.
> |
> | Is an other way to kill this session???
> |
> | Thx for answers
> |
> | julien.
>
> Repeating the alter system kill session will sometimes help to let the
> killed session disappear.
> Oracle is working on the cleanup of the mess while status is killed but I
> have the impression it needs to be reminded again to do so by issueing the
> kill session command again.
> Don't know why, it is strange.

More likely the person executing the kill needs to learn the correct syntax.

If you want something killed immeidately the syntax is:

ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION '<sid#>,<serial#> IMMEDIATE;

Most people leave off the final instruction. I posted the OTN documentation with the difference to another thread earlier this morning.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu