Re: Database example

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:01:45 GMT

Fiber Optic wrote:

> I have Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on W2k. Please, tell my how to create good lab
> enviroment to learn Oracle concept.

So far you have not given any hint what you want to accomplish with this 'lab'. If your objective is to spend lots of money on equipment and licenses, we can give you plenty advice. If your is to learn something, then identify the something & tell us so we can give realistic [sic] advice.

If you do not know what can be (or should be) learned:

  1. Read, then re-read, Oracle Concepts manual. I'm sure most of the professionals on this list have read that manual at least 5 times >for every version< since they started with Oracle products. (Not sure how many 'have a life' though ... need to recheck that thread from about a month ago).

The manual is online, as is all other Oracle documentation, at http://otn.oracle.com >> documentation (link, left side).

2) Also on OTN (http://otn.oracle.com) is sample code (http://otn.oracle.com >> Sample Code) which includes Oracle By Example - step by step walk through examples to complete some basic tasks.

3) After reading the Concepts and working through the OBE, you will need to decide Why you want a lab - in other words, "what do you hope to learn?". To help you with this, look at the list of documents (select "View Library" and then "List of books"). If some titles appeal, start reading there. I personally recommend Chapter 1 of the Administrator's Guide.

HTH
/Hans Received on Tue Jul 15 2003 - 22:01:45 CDT