Re: ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:23:54 -0700

Oliver Sturm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on my Debian system, which went fine after
> solving some problems with libraries. The only thing that didn't work from
> the start was the dbca run, so I had no database created for a start (the
> install told me it wasn't a great problem if not all of the tools ran
> smoothly).
>
> Now I want to create a database. To be able to start dbca, I had to touch
> a file /etc/rac_on for some reason I'm not aware of (found that on the
> groups somewhere). I can bring up the wizard gui and I try to create a
> database from the general purpose template.
>
> Then, after the wizard went through the first steps of copying the files,
> it halts for a while, saying it tries to create an instance. Suddenly, a
> message box pops up saying "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication
> channel".
>
> When looking at the logs I get in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log, I see that the
> error ORA-27101 is mentioned. I checked all kinds of postings and double-
> (quadruple?)-checked my configuration.
>
> Here are the important kernel parameters:
>
> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem
> 1250 32000 100 128
> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
> 2097152
> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
> 384000000
> oracle_at_ost1:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni
> 4096
>
> I have fiddled around a lot with all of these, so I don't really think
> there's a problem there. I also tried to manually get rid of shared memory
> segments and stuff using ipcrm (found that in some post, again).
>
> Now, does anyone have a hint what this may be about? Can I provide
> additional information? As I'm new to Oracle, I'm sure I don't know about
> all the proper places where to look, so do you have information on
> additional log files to consult? Thanks for any hints!
>
> Oliver Sturm
> --
> omnibus ex nihilo ducendis sufficit unum
> Jabber sturm_at_amessage.de ICQ 27142619 MSN macnapple_at_hotmail.com Y! macnapple

Just took a look at Oracle 9i Installation Guide for 9.2.0.1.0 Part No. A96167-01

I can't find any relationship between the kernel parameters you list and those in the Oracle documentation.

What is the source of the numbers you have used? And did you reboot after setting them?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu