Re: TNS-12500

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:10:10 +0200

Darren <darrens_69_at_hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3514a44c.0307110445.5881ba88_at_posting.google.com...
| Noone replied to this on c.d.o so posting here...please help if you can.
|
| Hi Oracle experts,
|
| We are getting this error on our Oracle system. I've searched Google,
| MSDN, Oracle tech support and newsgroups to death, but our DBAs seem
| to have already applied all the solutions suggested. Here's the
| relevant part from the Listener log:
|
| TNS-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process
| TNS-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded
| TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
| TNS-00510: Internal limit restriction exceeded
| 32-bit Windows Error: 8: Exec format error
| -Darren.

Just an idea, maybe it does not make any sense. Could it be you hit a limit in the number of TCP/IP connections Windows 2000 can handle. Or some other limit in the TCP/IP configuration.

To really find what is going wrong in the listener, why it can't start a server process is to set tracing on for the listener. The trace file can grow big very quickly and because the error only occurs under heavy load this could be impossible to do because it's difficult to find the errors in big big file. There is no alternative. With the detailed errors from the trace Oracle support must be able to tell you what the real cause is.
You need to set 2 parameters in the listener.ora for this. Assuming the name of your listener is just "listener":
- trace_directory_listener = C:/x/y
- trace_level_listener = admin
And in the documentation I found more that I've never used but could be really interesting for you situation:
- trace_file_listner = listener.trc
- trace_filelen_listener = 5000 (means a new file is written when it is 5000Kb big)
- trace_fileno_listener = 5 (means it will write files listener1.trc, listener2.trc etc...
- trace_timestamp_listener = on (will write a timestamp on each line). It's all in appendix C of the Net8 Administrators Guide. http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/network.817/a76933/par ams.htm#424126 Received on Sat Jul 12 2003 - 05:10:10 CDT