Re: Any reasons why not to upgrade to 9i

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:49:11 +0200

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:40:48 GMT, "Tony" <honk_at_me.not> wrote:

>If you can't find a reason to upgrade, you probably don't need to upgrade.
>There is nothing wrong with skipping a release.

Sorry to disagree with you. I will mention only one example: In 8i LMTs are optional, DMT is the default. In 9i LMT is the default. Anyone migrating directly from 7.3.4 or 8.0 to 9i is going to be in for some very nasty surprise. It seems you don't care about that, but you can't mean that seriously. In 9i upgrade courses Oracle is discussing new features in 9i as compared to 8i. Right now you can't even follow the 8i upgrade course anymore. Your technology gap will be getter bigger and biggger, with dire consequences

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jul 12 2003 - 03:49:11 CDT