Re: How best to move oracle9 db and binaries between similiar unix servers?

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_nospam_please_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:55:20 -0400

Ian wrote:
> Hi - we need to move a 9.2.0.3 database from one AIX server to
> another. Both servers have similiar hardware and are at the same O/S
> level (AIX4.3.3).
>
> Our change window is short so ideally we would simply like to tarball
> $ORACLE_BASE on Server A and untar on server B.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this approach? Is this method
> supported? And is there any documentation available specifically
> describing the files and directories the rdbms accesses outside of
> $ORACLE_BASE such as the ones in /etc/ and /usr/local/ .
>
> thanks very much

Don't know about AIX but I've done this sort of thing in Solaris and Windows environments (Solaris->Solaris, Windows->Windows) for dev/test setups. Not sure I'd recommend it for production though. You need to have same architecture boxes and same OS/Patch level, and keep the original directory locations.
The unix user/group IDs need to be the same too. For Solaris you will need to tar/untar as root to keep the setuid permissions.
The Windows copy is a bit dicey, with registry entries and services, but can be made to work.
Don't know if any of this would be supported by Oracle (not likely).

--Peter Received on Thu Jul 10 2003 - 13:55:20 CDT