VLDB Redo Log Sizing Suggestions

From: Charles Davis <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:25:36 -0400

Hi, all,

I am looking for some expert guidance on re-sizing my SAP R/3 database re-do logs.

I have 8 groups of mirrored logs, each log file is 200MB.

I am archiving a log file every 5 to 8 minutes. This seems excessive.

Suggestions?

Oracle wants me to archive about every 20-30 minutes. Is a re-sizing as simple as tripling or quadrupling the re-do log sizes?

Should I learn and use LogMiner to see what's going on and to influence the re-sizing?

This is occurring in a 1TB SAP R/3 database, with the application code supplied by SAP, so I have little change to knowing or altering the souce code that may be causing excessive logging.

I deeply appreciate any suggestions on this topic.

Many Thanks, and Happy July 4th (USA Independence Day!!)

Charles Received on Fri Jul 04 2003 - 08:25:36 CDT