Re: My database is too fast

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:51:00 -0500

--
"Teppicamon" <quicog_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Burton Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > --
> > "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message
> > > "Teppicamon" <quicog_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> that
> > made
> > five
> >
> > Wouldn't you have to use MVs for queries in sqlserver because otherwise
> you
> > would have locking problems on the underlying tables ?
>
> Not at all, we just used MV because they gave us better performance and
let
> us index everything exactly the way we wanted. That's completely opposite
> the MV's in Oracle, which at least in 8i turned to be even slower than
doing
> the joins in real time (maybe it was just that we didn't do it the right
> way, but we had to go back to normal joins). That's actually the point
with
> SQL Server, it's easy, it's clear, it's powerful enough and everything
> behaves as expected...

> > view,
> network
> > and
> > >
> > > I'd hate to think how long it would take Oracle if
> > > Billy had counted these using a MV... ;)
> >
> > Probably takes Oracle about 50 msecs (milliseconds for you sqlserver
> users),
> > especially if a sqlserver MV is the same as an Oracle MV ?
>
> From my experience, SQLS MV's behave far much better than Oracle's, and
for
> your words I wonder if you're just guessing about SQL Server without
having Good guess. I don't have much experience with sqlserver. That is why I stated the 'IF' in front of 'a sqlserver MV is the same as an Oracle MV'... because I do not know. From all the posts since mine, seems you needed to tune sql queries against the Oracle MV and would probably have had similar performance.
> any experience with it... Why everything has to be faster in Oracle just
for
> being Oracle??? You sound like a blind Oracle talliban shouting "Oracle
has
> to be the best because Allah told us one century ago... Death to the
> unbelieving!!!" ;-)
Where did I state anything at all like this? What the locking comment? Everyone knows this is a problem in sqlserver and not a problem in Oracle. Nothing new there. What did I say... to be associated with the talliban ? Note: Show me a better product and I would gladly switch to it. I have switched OSs, databases, and programming languages so many times, I could not guess the number of times. But, switch from Oracle to sqlserver does not make any sense at least in my work environment (and a lot of others I'd guess).