Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 04:28:58 GMT

Frank,

WOW! You really took a lot from this first impression.

In my career, I have been a software developer, an end-user, a trainer, a team leader, a DBA, systems (IBM VM, Cray UNICOS, and IBM OS/2) administrator, planner, customer support, and many other positions. No, I don't change jobs often; I just have the ability to do more than one job.

I spent 10 years at Cray Research, where product development is like building a Royals Royce. A team takes a product/feature from requirements through product release. As the team leader, I had to be able to talk to end-users, managers, develop design documents, plan the project, keep track of the project, write the code, write the documentation (internal and external), unit test, integrate the code, work with system testers, go on alpha and beta tests, train the end-users, and finally support the code in the field. The product we were working at Cray on covered 8 manuals, dozens of design documents, well over 1.25 million lines of IBM 370/390 Assembler code, etc. Hell, my team even got a Shell Quality Award for our STK4400 to Cray feature.

Actually, I pride myself on being able to wear many hats at the same time.

But I'm sure you still see me missing the ability to shift hats and understand a developer or end-user's perspective. Sorry, but I feel you don't have the ability to judge people so completely from three paragraphs.

Bert.