Re: how can I exclude a user from an import

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:13:46 +0100

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:02:55 +0100, Frederic Payant <> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to migrate a database. I've a lot of users in it and I would
>prefer to avoid to recreate them individually.
>Is there a way to import the content of a full export without
>importing sys and system, but creating all other users (and their
>objects) ?
>
>(Oracle 817, Solaris 8)
>Regards
>Frederic PAYANT - junior DBA ;-)

SYS is never exported and never imported, because any DDL will modify the SYS schema.
Of course also your SYSTEM schema doesn't contain any tables that you want to preserve, except those generated by Oracle software, which will be safe to import.
So actually this should be a non-issue, if you only want to exclude SYSTEM. With importing in usermode (fromuser= followed by touser=) I am afraid you will be forced to pre-create the accounts. You can of course easily create a script to pre-create them simply
select 'create user '||username||'identified by values '''||password||''''
from dba_users
( I leave the default tablespace and temporary tablespace as an excercise for you)
and the same mechanism you can use to generate a series of imp <username/password> fromuser=<username> touser=<username>

Unless of course you want to use the OEM point and shoot method, which will definitely end up in a much slower import.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Wed Dec 18 2002 - 14:13:46 CST