Re: setup on 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:56:18 +1100

"Ted" <root_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> Yes the other machines had 8i also, and the fact that they can co-exist
> didn't make me think that would be an issue. I bet it is because some
other
> program is currently running that is blocking it... Although I have killed
> everythign that I possiable could...
>
> The other machine had sp3 so that is the next thing I will try... after
that
> I will just format the beast... I have no problem with that. I have an
extra
> 36 gig drive I can back everything up...
>
> I have tried VMware before (but just with Linux) and love it... It is
> probally the most intresting but under used software I have seen in a long
> time!!

Absolutely! It is great for doing demos and experiments. And when you stuff up big time, you just delete the virtual disk files, and start again... perfect for loonies like me!!

> Thanks for the help I will let you know what happens!

Well, I'm just sorry I couldn't diagnose it more scientifically. I'll lay odds that format and clean install will fix the problem.

But if you want a quiet life, I'd avoid putting on SP3 just for the moment. Bear in mind that 9i (I presume this is release 2??) was released before SP3 became available. Not saying that you can't install SP3 afterwards, for sure. Not even saying that it all won't be plain sailing with SP3 in place. It's just that I *know* SP2 works fine, and I've had 'odd problems' with SP3. Remember the KISS principle.

Regards
HJR
> Ted
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > "Ted" <root_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> > > I have waited a while, and yes an admin account.... This previously
had
> > > 8.1.7 on it...!
> >
> > The other machines you reported installing correctly... did they
> previously
> > have 8.1.7 on them? Or is yours the only machine to have a prior Oracle
> > install?
> >
> > If yes, then I think that's your problem (I'm afraid I get rather
> monotonous
> > on the subject of needing to install Oracle onto a 'clean' machine).
> > Assuming the 8i installation is expendable, then it's time to
> >
> > (a) use oradim -DELETE etc etc to manually remove all previous Oracle
> > installations
> > (b) use Windows Explorer to manually delete the complete 8i Oracle
> > installation tree
> > (c) use regedt32 to delete the entire set of Oracle registry entries
> > relating to the previous installation. Mostly, that's under
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE, but you might want to use the 'Find'
function
> > to locate other, more hidden, entries.
> >
> > It's a bit odd, actually, because apart from strange problems with the
v8i
> > intelligent agent versus the 9i intelligent agent, 8i and 9i should (and
> > can) co-exist without too much hassle.
> >
> > If all of that's a pain in the neck, you could try getting a bit
> > experimental (and here I tend to get a bit monotonous on another
subject).
> > Since you've downloaded the entire 9i install, I take it you have a
decent
> > Internet link. If so, take a visit to www.vmware.com, and download the
> trial
> > edition of VMware. Install on your machine, and get a trial licence.
Then
> > install Windows 2000 SP2 on a new virtual machine, and see if the
> > installation works flawlessly (my bet is that it will).
> >
> > The download is only 18MB or so, and I can usually knock up an
SP2-patched