Re: RMAN in RAC

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2002 10:58:20 -0800

In article <asEJ9.1098$jM5.3154_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, "Howard says...

>I'm not entirely sure what makes NFS read mount points so 'dangerous', since
>that is certainly Oracle's own (strong) recommendation.

May be some confusion here about the NFS being a SPOF, but in this case I agree that I can't see that being such a problem.

>I also have no idea what you mean by the 'width' of a backup.

Howard, Howard, Howard, it's obvious! How wide is the stack of tapes when you lay them out next to each other? :)

Pete

>Regards
>HJR
>
>"vigi98" <vigi98_at_caramail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Is my message not enough clear ? Or really nobody knows the answers.
>> Please answer me, I really need these information.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> "vigi98" <vigi98_at_caramail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have a RAC DB with two instances, each on one node. I put the DB in
>> > archivelog mode and each instance archives its redo logs on a local
>> > directory (uoraarch1 for node 1 and uoraarch2 for node 2). To backup the
>> > whole database, I launch rman from one of both nodes and the backup set
>is
>> > put on a local directory, uorabackup.
>> > For the restore, is it possible to put all files on the node from where
>> > launch rman. I mean: I would put the backup set and all archived logs
>(those
>> > of both onstances) on a local directory, for example uorabackup but
>possibly
>> > another one. Or even, I would put all these files on different local
>> > directories.
>> >
>> > This way of doing would make me avoid the annoying and dangerous NFS
>mount
>> > from the node from where I perform the restore towards the remote
>uoraarch.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help. In addition, I would say that I cannot use
>clustered
>> > file system because I'm in HP-UX and it does not exist in this OS...
>> >
>> > I have another question: is the backup less or more wide than the
>original ?

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 12:58:20 CST