OracleServiceSID not starting

From: Cstyle <toledodba25_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2002 09:35:24 -0800

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 Windows 2000 Service Pack 2

I ran into something weird over the weekend. I rebooted the machine oracle was on. The OracleServiceSID appears to be hung. It just says 'Starting'. It never switches over to 'Started', it never fails. When I connect through SQL Plus it says 'connected to an idle instance'. At which point, I can issue 'startup', and the database comes right up and works fine. All the while OracleServiceSID still has a status of 'Starting'. I've kicked the machine a few times, and every time the service appears to hang. I have to manually start up the database, and the database runs fine, but the service still hangs.  Has anyone seen this before? Have any ideas? Thanks! Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 11:35:24 CST