Re: tx isolation

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:49:05 GMT

KevJohnP <nospam_at_nowhere.com> wrote in news:3DEB21D1.1010806_at_nowhere.com:

> Hi Pablo

Hey Kevin!

> Have supported large OLTP systems with databases using both
> approaches and though as you imply developers can code around not
> being read consistent that doesn't mean they always do (or do so
> properly) or that it is a effective use of their time for them to
> have to. I have seen non-rc systems grind to a halt because one of
> the junior developers didn't understand the locking strategy.

FWIW, not much? :), I've worked with junior developers who also locked up Oracle when they didn't commit.

   If the transaction don't fit, you cannot commit! <g>

My point is that given junior people, they have a away of wedging any system. <g>

> Have also seen systems written with dirty / uncommitted read
> isolation level all over the application, I guess its those same
> lazy developers >:),

That's a big work-around for simply not understanding the tool that they're using. Too bad. I believe that if you're using _any_ RDBMS, it's in your best interest to exploit it -- I'm not implying that you're not saying that ...

> For info, MySQL has now developed a rc option (though I haven't
> tested it) links are www.innodb.com or MySQL Max on www.mysql.com.

I try to avoid MySQL. <g> I believe not until recently did they implement stored procedures so until certain areas mature, it needs to bake a bit more.

> You are correct though, in that no it doesn't do the dishes in fact
> its record on all domestic chores is woefull (despite what the
> Oracle marketting people say) :)

heh heh!

Take care.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com