Runaway Thread on NT, How to kill such sessions on NT, Orakill no good

From: reza <reza_at_digital-dispatch.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 20:24:30 +0100

Hi
Our Oracle 8.1.6.3 server goes on a spin while a user application runs a piece of custom PL/Sql code.
The indication are:
The user session gets terminated by the server, and there is no entries in V$session or v$process for this session any more.

However, on NT level still the thread created for the session is active and uses the 99% of CPU and makes the server useless. Oracle does not respond to any new connection requst due to being 100% busy internally.
Orakill utility is not effective since Oracle does not have entry for that user's session anymore. If I use the Orakill it comes back with "... killed Successfully" however the server does not recover.

I have had runaway processes on Unix many times, which can be terminated no problem, but I don't know how to terminate such runaway threads on NT. The only solution at the moment is to bounce the database.

The offinsive code does not leave any ORA-xx error message behind, and further drilldown to the server shows that all the Background processes of the server are idle, and it is only the runaway thread of dead session is using the 99% of NT box's CPU.

Many thanks in advance for any help on this matter Regards
Reza Received on Sat Jun 29 2002 - 14:24:30 CDT