Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 07:40:12 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Well, here comes a statement. True 24x7s are very rare. There's
> usually/frequently/often a sluggish window.

Very true.

> And yes, I'd be aiming to get my
> log switches into there.

You could aim for it, but you'd eventually miss. You couldn't hit the target by simply sizing your redo logs, since activity will vary - some days you get 50 GB, others 200. So your window would start creeping all over the 24 hour clock, left to its own devices. You'd have to institute a job to force a log switch in the slower hours I suppose... eh. Do-able I guess, but kinda messy - you're back to checkpointing at a time interval, not a data interval, which is not my cup of tea.

> File sizes... can't do anything about them, agreed. But I always try and
> create 2Gb redo logs and have done with it.
>
> Unless they don't have redundant power supplies and a UPS.
>
> And if they're running on NT 4.0, forget it. Every 20 minutes or so in that
> case!

Yeah, and still cross your fingers, make a daily sacrifice to the Redmond, WA gods, ...

> > And I wouldn't understate the frequency of instance crashes. If they
> > weren't still a problem with modern hardware we wouldn't see such an
> > interest in RAC.
>
> (Psst. Between you and me, we see a lot of interest in RAC because Oracle
> wants it that way. All hail the marketing department. Call me a cynic, if
> you must).

All hail the power of Oracle Marketing! Keeps us all employed - we should be sending them cash I suppose...

Goodnight, (or I guess that should be "G'day") Sean M Received on Sat Jun 29 2002 - 02:40:12 CDT