Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7.0.1) + Redhat Linux 7.2 = Cannot create tablespace file > 2 gb

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 14:16:28 +1000

"Sean M" <smckeown_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3D1D321A.5A68A9E0_at_earthlink.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > So resetlogs are EXCEEDINGLY expensive. To the point where the only time
> > you'd ever want to use an incomplete recovery is when everything else
has
> > failed.
> >
> > Incompletes are very rare events. They are awkward, difficult to
perform,
> > and at the mercy of Sod's Law ("If anything can go wrong, it will"). You
> > don''t want to go there unless absolutely necessary.
>
> I snipped plenty of good advice/description, all of which I agree with.
> My only contribution to the above would be to not color incomplete
> recoveries in such a dark light. They certainly aren't your first
> choice usually, but they aren't the end of the world and, IMO, aren't
> much more awkward/difficult than a complete recovery. But that's more
> opinion than fact.

You must be one of those rare souls that remembers to take a preventative backup of their control files and redo logs before starting. 'Cos otherwise, if the recovery doesn't manage to bring back what you hoped it would, you're stuffed. Then there's the little matter of "FILE 1 NEEDS MORE RECOVERY TO BE CONSISTENT', meaning.... er. what the stuff did I restore, and why didn't I restore everything??? And so on.

I can pull off an incomplete recovery 100% of the time I go to demo one these days (but it wasn't always like that!!). They still give me the eebie-jeebies, though: stuff it up, and there's no come-back.

On the other hand, I agree with you: if you follow standard procedures, religiously, then there's nothing intrinsically so awful about them as to make you want to chop your head off.

In truth, their awfulness comes from the fact that the database MUST be down for the duration, and they are therefore very expensive in terms of concurrent access to data. I suppose it's a minor inconsequential matter that they happen, also, to result in the loss of perfectly good data!

At the end of the day, though, I know what you are saying, and agree with it.

Regards
HJR

> > But if you do, it's not a sweat. Oracle copes. There's not a recovery
> > situation it *can't* cope with, one way or another. Which sounds like
> > marketing bullshit but (and here's the true majesty of the product)
isn't.