Re: Import bug

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 06:46:53 +1000

Altering a users quota to zero after they've created tables is a perfectly valid (though slightly unusual) thing to do, so I think you've got a point, sort of.

I'd agree with you that you might consider it a problem, except that it's dead easy to fix it: you just re-set the user's quota in the new database, and run import again for that particular schema. You then re-re-set the quota when all is finished. Fiddly, perhaps. But not terminal.

I think, fundamentally, it's an issue of perception as to what import does. All it does, in fact, is to read a bunch of 'create table' and 'insert into' statements from the dump file. It's therefore dumb, and can't be expected to finesse things by inventing commands which aren't in the dump file -that really would be a bug if it did!

I find that once people open up a dump file in the text editor of their choice and have a look at what it contains (look only!! it's a binary file, so don't save or edit!!!), then it becomes much more obvious what import is capable of: it's only reading a script, after all.

Regards