Re: whats going on

From: David Lord <davelord_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 19:58:55 +0200

Dude, this group is both optional and recreational, so unless you're here as community service for a hideous social crime, then how much you take part is entirely up to you.

Responding is not a requirement of group access, nor even is any knowledge of Oracle or it's products. You seem to be suggesting that the poor hard done by knowledgeable group members (the few) are tirelessly working there arses off responding to inane questions from DBA wantabees (the masses). That's hogwash. If anyone feels that answering is too much or that they are taking the lions share of replies they seriously need a holiday. Two weeks somewhere nice without a computer.

The most interesting thing to come out of this thread is not the fact the laziness is commonplace in the group but that certain responders seem to take their role a bit too seriously and have become, well, a bit arrogant.

IMO the best method for answering questions that seem lazy, hopeless or just annoy you in some way is the same as when you don't know the answer. Be quiet and don't respond. If you however choose to point them to the documentation, the FAQ, tell them to get a life, or even to actually give a useful answer, fair enough; but don't complain about it as if someone's forcing you to respond. They're not.

[Note too self - remember to indicate humour with a smiley in future]