Re: Help! Oracle server clustering

From: Saikat Chakraborty <saikatchak_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 04:58:23 +0000 (UTC)

Howard,

>Have you ever performed a 'nologging' operation when operating a standby?
>Guess what? It 'breaks' the standby. Add a datafile, resize a file.... er,
>yup: same thing.

I beg to differ in a point of your post. If you resize a data file in primary, the standby is not broken. I am talking of 8.1.5.
I believe resizing of datafile also generates some redo information that gets passed to standby database. Hence the data file size of standby also increases automatically. Adding a datafile is a problem. It stops the recovery process from happening. You need to *cold* copy the datafile from primary to standby and add it to your standby database by the command ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE '<datafile name>' AS '<datafile name>'; After that, recovery can proceed as normal. The problem in standby is as you pointed out the unrecoverable activities. If any so-called poweruser performs that, your standby database is broken.
Thanks and Great Regards,
Saikat Chakraborty
http://saikatchak.tripod.com