Any Recommendations On Oracle Server Spec, Itanium , Sun or IBM

From: Niko <nick_wakefield_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 18:16:26 -0700

Hi,

I need to spec an Oracle server and basically have between a 1000 and 1500 dollars a month budget for the hardware, assuming I recommend a lease.(I think that equate to around 40K to 60K of hardware)

The intended use is for a 100GB data warehouse, with probably only a couple of queries running at a time.

My options are

4 way Itanium, 4-8GB of RAM Linux 64 Bit, IBM or DELL I guess 4 way XEON MP, 4-8GB of RAM Linux, again IBM or DELL Sunfire of some kind running Solaris
IBM of somekind running something.

Any recommendations on what I should be looking at, I basicaly want the fastest box for my money, and I already have the backup stuff covered. My concern with the non unix boxes is the IO performance compared to a normal unix platform.

TIA Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 20:16:26 CDT